Thursday, February 4, 2010

What is the Hayden House?

It's the house we just closed on located in CT. It was built in 1853 and known as the Hayden Estate. In the 1940's it was turned into a church of Science. They moved out, and now we're moving in! But first there's lots of work to do. Including:

- lead abatement
- replastering walls
- refinishing hardwood floors
- lots of painting!
- completely renovating the 2nd and 3rd floors
- knocking down walls (whoo-hoo!)
- building new walls
- ripping off wall paper
- creating a master bathroom from scratch
- restoring windows
- adding a fire place
- and lots more


....all while trying to maintain the character of the house.

And we're doing most of it ourselves (with family and friends). Here are some preliminary photos.








Did I mention it's over 4,000 square feet?

7 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! How I LOVE old home charm...maybe in my next life I'll get one! smile Happy renovating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! LOVE your house! It's beautiful, have fun renovating it! I daydream about renovating our home, so fun in my dreams...if it ever becomes reality I may have to take the kids on Vacation while it's being done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My jaw is on the floor. This house is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s a really huge property! It looks amazing and there’s so much space you could work on. It would be challenging and tedious, but I’m sure it will all be very worth it and totally rewarding when you finish making it look the way you want to.

    Randell Jeffries

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hayden house surely is a big house! I agree that there is so much you can do with all that space in each part of the house! I can’t wait to see the final result of the renovation! I bet that it would look grand!

    Kayce Church

    ReplyDelete